Firewalls vs Next Generation Firewalls
Traditional firewalls are network security devices that monitor incoming and outgoing traffic; they either allow or block data packets based on its own security rules. A data packet is a unit of data made into a single package that travels along a defined network path. Internet Protocol (IP) transmissions use data packets for data that navigates the web, other types of networks.
The purpose of a firewall is to provide network security; it maintains a barrier between your internal network (and its devices) and incoming traffic from external sources such as the internet. A firewall can block unwanted traffic like viruses and hackers, and it does this by being configured to prevent intrusion by both known and unknown threats.
Network security is a wide term that covers many technologies, devices and processes. It is a set of rules and configurations that protect the integrity, confidentiality and accessibility of computer networks and data using software and hardware technologies. Every company needs some network security solutions in place to keep them safe from the growing landscape of cyber threats taking place worldwide.
Next Generation Firewalls
Modern firewalls include next-generation capabilities. These are better known as next generation firewalls. These capabilities overcome the problems of a stateful inspection firewall (aka a traditional firewall) and provide you with visibility of network traffic and user activity. UTM (Unified Threat Management) firewalls have embedded security detection and prevention engines that give further examination with functions such as integrated Intrusion Detection Systems and Intrusion Prevention Systems (IDS / IPS), Network AV (Anti-Virus), application filtering, and web filtering. We have the necessary skills to perform Man-in-the-Middle SSL traffic inspection (MitM).
At CloudTech24, our firewalls include:
- Co-ordinated intrusion prevention
- Application awareness and control to find and block malicious apps
- Upgrade pathways to include future information feeds
- Techniques to address changing security threats
A threat-focused next generation firewall means you can:
- Swiftly react to attacks with intelligent security automation that creates policies and improves your defences dynamically
- Improve the discovery of evasive or suspicious activity with network and endpoint event correlation
- Lessen the time from detection to cleanup with retrospective security that monitors for suspicious activity and behaviour after the first inspection
- Ease administration and reduce intricacy with policies that protect across the whole attack continuum.
What is included in a next generation firewall service?
As a trusted Managed Security Service provider (MSSP) we offer next generation firewall services including:
- Signature based threat detection and prevention using Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) functionality.
- Office network access via user VPN (SSL-VPN)
- Next Generation firewall providing application aware capabilities and ability to filter upon specific applications in addition to port numbers.
- Website and application filtering for inappropriate or malicious communication between internal and external entities.
- Wireless internet access to be provided for both corporate and guest users with required isolation.
- Fully managed network service to include all ongoing technical support for the firewall, including unlimited technical support both remote and onsite.
- Hardware required for the service will remain the property of Connect Digital Security, upon end of term hardware ownership can be transferred upon agreement between both parties.
- Hardware support and replacement is provided by Connect Digital Security and included within the service fee.
- Any major project work, including office relocation that requires significant reconfiguration or additional hardware may incur additional upfront and/or service cost to the client.
- Proactive monitoring of health and performance (including software updates) to be managed by Connect Digital Security’s 24/7 SOC.
Why You Should Obtain Next Generation Firewall Services
Today’s network architecture is complicated and businesses face a threat environment that changes constantly.
Cyber criminals are always trying to find and exploit your system’s vulnerabilities. These vulnerabilities can exist in a range of areas such as devices, data, applications, users and locations. There are various network security management tools and applications that we use to deal with individual threats and regulatory non-compliance.
A few minutes of system downtime due to an attack can cause massive disruption to your company’s profits and reputation. Therefore, it is essential that these security measures in place.
Frequently Asked Questions about Next Generation Firewall Services:
Please see below for some common questions on our next generation firewall services. If you would prefer to speak to someone then give us a call and speak to one of our team.
WHAT DO NEXT GENERATION FIREWALLS OFFER?
The main differences between a traditional firewall and a next gen firewall are that a traditional firewall blocks specific ports; a next gen firewall features such as application inspection, IDS/IPS, and deep packet inspection.
The benefits of managed next generation firewall services are simplified firewall management, 24/7/365 monitoring, reduced complexity, and ultimately alleviating the requirement for internal expertise.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A VIRTUAL AND HARDWARE FIREWALL?
Firewall appliances can either be deployed as hardware or software virtual machines – in most instances organisations deploy firewall solutions on hardware appliances that are optimised for the firewall software and have hardware support provided by the firewall vendor. Virtual firewalls are ideal for virtual and cloud environments.
WHAT IS THE IMPORTANCE OF HAVING 24/7/365 FIREWALL MANAGEMENT?
CloudTech24 provide 24/7/365 firewall support and security monitoring for our managed clients. We operate around the clock as we understand that your business operations don’t stop, and neither do advanced cyber threats.
WHAT IS A UTM OR THREAT MODULES ON FIREWALLS?
Unified Threat Management (UTM) is a term used for a network firewall that also includes multiple threat detection and content filtering technologies into the single appliance. Consolidating single functions into a single appliance is an effective and cost effective strategy in most instances. CloudTech24 monitor our clients UTM firewalls and all security modules to review and detect blocked traffic and threat detection.
WHAT FIREWALL VENDORS DO CLOUDTECH24 MANAGE AND SUPPORT?
HOW IS CLOUDTECH24 FIREWALL MANAGEMENT UK PRICED?
CloudTech24 can support your existing firewall investments, or provide next generation hardware as a service with our managed firewall solutions. We provide firewall management for UK businesses and support our global clients with secure connectivity for international branch offices.
HOW ARE RULE AND SECURITY FILTERING POLICIES DEFINED FOR MANAGED FIREWALLS?
Upon onboarding new clients, CloudTech24 perform a full security review of our clients network security and work with client technical teams to validate effective security configuration for their individual requirements.
DO YOU PROVIDE SERVICE LEVELS FOR CLOUDTECH24 UK FIREWALL MANAGEMENT?
CloudTech24 agreements include service level objectives. Our firewall management team is on call 24 hours a day and will support and response to security events or inbound client enquiries.
IF WE USE YOU FOR FIREWALL MANAGEMENT, CAN YOU ALSO HELP US WITH HARDWARE, LICENSING AND RENEWAL?
Absolutely, CloudTech24 are your trusted cyber security partner; we can work with your business to provide the best options for your cyber security requirement and provide firewall resale or a complete solution with hardware as a service as part of our managed firewall solutions.